Frequently Asked Questions

Links to FAQ's

911 Guidelines

  • Q - What is E-911?
    • A - The Enhanced 911 system automatically displays the address of the emergency caller and the telephone number at that location on a screen at the 911 Communications Center. This information allows the calltaker to be able to send help in an emergency where a caller is not able to speak or has disconnected the call.
  • Q - What if the caller does not speak English well?
    • A - The NH Bureau of Emergency Communications has a connection with a language line. This allows the call-taker to create a conference call and have a translator available within 1 minute that speaks one of hundreds of languages. This is a great asset to the 911 center.
  • Q - Can I call 911 to see if school is closed during inclement weather?
    • A - 911 should be used for emergency purposes only. To see if school is closed during inclement weather please watch the appropriate TV stations.
  • Q - What happens if I call 911 and hang-up before speaking to anyone?
    • A - All the information is displayed even though the caller has hung up. The 911 center will attempt a call-back to see if there is an emergency. The dispatcher may send a police unit to verify the situation. See the silent 911 call page for more information.
Return to Top

Brush and Recycling

  • Q - What materials are allowed?
    • A - We allow the following materials:
      • Brush Dump:
        • Clean wood with no finish
        • Lumber no larger than 2" X 12"
        • Branches, Up to 20” in diameter
      • Mulch Pile:
        • Leaves, lawn clippings, and wood chips only, and dirt or soil
        • NOTE: Mulch has to be separated from the brush when dumping these items.
        • Paper Leaf Bag must be emptied, Bag can be put in paper recycling when done
      • Co-Mingle:
        • Paper and Cardboard
        • Plastic bottles
        • Aluminum, tin (i.e. dog food, soup cans)
        • Glass
  • Q - What materials are NOT allowed?
    • A- We do not allow the following materials:
        • Construction Debris - including finished wood of any kind
        • Demolition Debris
        • Tires
        • Stumps
        • Propane tanks
        • Hazardous materials
Return to Top

Budget Committee

  • Q - What is the 10% rule?
    • A - The 10% rule states that the total amount appropriated at any annual meeting shall not exceed by more than 10% the total amount recommended by the budget committee for such meeting. The 10% number is based upon the budget committee's recommended operating budget along with any warrant articles recommended by the budget committee. See RSA 32:18.
  • Q - Why doesn't the budget committee vote their recommendations on all warrant articles?
    • A - The budget committee only votes on warrant articles that have appropriations attached to them. See RSA 32:5
  • Q - Can I amend a warrant article that does not have appropriations in order to add appropriations at town meeting?
    • A - No. All warrant articles that require appropriations must be discussed at the public hearing prior to deliberative session. See RSA 32:5
Return to Top

Cable TV

  • Q - When will [program X] be replayed on ACTV-20?
    • A - Currently, the next ten programs scheduled appears on the channel immediately after every program and during the Bulletin Board playback. We also have an online weekly schedule that is automatically updated with the latest changes on the town website, so check back frequently for the most current schedule changes.
  • Q - I have an idea for a show (or a completed program on tape or DVD). How do I get it on the air on ACTV-20?
    • A - Contact us, and we will be happy to provide you with the training and equipment necessary to make your idea a reality. If you already have a show you've created, drop off a copy (DVD's are preferred, but we can handle VHS, S-VHS and DV tape if necessary) along with the appropriate forms (found on this website or obtained from the station directly), and we will schedule it for broadcast.
  • Q - I requested a notice be put on the Community Bulletin Board last week. Why isn't it on the air yet?
    • A - On the Community Bulletin Board Request Form, it clearly states, "Anyone wishing to place an announcement on the bulletin board must submit a request to ACTV-20 at least two (2) weeks in advance of the desired cablecast time." That means you should get your notice to us, where possible, two weeks before you wish to start seeing it on the air. The reason we request this is because ACTV-20 is staffed by part-time employees and volunteers, and we must wear many hats simultaneously in order to keep your Access Channel running 24 hours a day, 365 days each year. Due to the workload this imposes on us, we may not get to your request for more than a week, though we will make every effort to get to it in a timely fashion. This is also part of the reason why the form further states, "ACTV-20 will make every attempt to air announcements for at least one (1) week prior to the date of the announced event or service."
Return to Top

Code Enforcement

  • Q - When do I need a Building Permit?
    • A - Work Requiring a Building Permit:
      • - New deck or replacement
      • - Sheds (anything over 120 sq.ft.)
      • - Reroof
      • - Handicapped Ramp
      • - Driveways, New & Existing (for work in right of way)
      • - Aluminum or Vinyl Siding
      • - Window Replacement
      • - Inground Pools and Above Ground Pools over 24" deep
      • - Finished basements
      • - New Construction/Additions
    • A - Work exempt from Building Permit. Permits shall not be required for the following:
      • - Ordinary repair, i.e. painting, papering, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
      • - One-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet, i.e. storage sheds, gazebo, pool house.
      • - Fences
        • We recommend you put the finished side to your neighbor.
        • We recommend you place the fence one foot+ from your property line for ease of maintenance and if you plan to erect a fence across the front of your property, you should confer with the Road Agent to discuss the edge of the towns right of way.
      • - Retaining walls
      • - Patio
      • - Lawn Irrigation Systems
Return to Top

Community Center

  • Q - How do I reserve the Community Center?
    • A - Please contact the Community Center Director by phone at 603.362.5531 or email at to check the availability. If you are interested in using a room at the Community Center for your meeting or event, you will need to complete the Community Center Reservation Form and Community Center Checklist. Upon registration, we need 2 checks, an appropriate amount of rental fee and $50.00 security deposit with the application form.
  • Q - What rooms are available to rent?
    • A - Banquet Room- Capacity of 120 people, Room 1 - Capacity of 12, Room 2 - Capacity of 24. Kitchen facility is available for additional fee.
  • Q - Do you charge non-profit organizations for meetings or other functions?
    • A - The Atkinson residents and members of Atkinson based non-profit organizations can use the facilities up to 4 hours for free. They still need to fill out the application form and are required to pay the $50.00 security deposit.
  • Q - How many tables and chairs do you have?
    • A - There are 120 chairs and 15 round and rectangular tables. There are tables and chairs already set up in Rooms 1 and 2 to cover the capacity.
Return to Top

Elder Services

  • Q - Is there a charge for the transports provided to the elders?
    • A - No. All costs are paid from the town’s annual operating budget which is funded by all tax payers.
  • Q - I want to show my appreciation for my ride, can I tip the driver?
    • A - No, the drivers do not accept tips or other gratuities. You can show your appreciation by making a donation to the Town of Atkinson Elder Services.
  • Q - Are the transport drivers volunteers?
    • A - All the transport drivers are part-time town employees.
  • Q - How do I request a ride or other service from Elder Services?
    • A - Simply call 603.362.9582 between 8:00 am and Noon, Monday through Friday. If possible, please make ride requests at least a week in advance of their need, and avoid making appointments for Thursdays or Fridays as these are the busiest days.
  • Q - What equipment is available from Elder Services?
    • A - There are always canes, crutches, walkers, bath chairs and assorted other equipment available. Larger and more costly items like hospital beds, motorized wheel chairs and lift chairs are usually available. If you have a need, call 362-9582 and inquire before buying any equipment or aids. Equipment can be picked up at the police station during the normal 8-4 workday or if necessary can be delivered.
Return to Top

Fire Department

  • Q - Where do I obtain a Fire Permit?
    • A - Fire Permits are obtained locally through the Forest Fire Warden, Deputy Wardens and Issuing Agents. You can contact the Forest Fire Warden Michael E. Murphy at the Atkinson Fire Department non emergency business phone, 603.362.5611 for more information.
  • Q - How much does a Fire Permit cost?
    • A - There is no cost to obtain a written fire permit.
  • Q - When is a Fire Permit required?
    • A - A Fire Permit is required anytime there is not a 100 foot radius of complete snow cover around the fire.
  • Q - What time can a fire be kindled?
  • Q - Can I burn trash?
    • A - Residential trash burning is a public health risk. State law, RSA 125-N strictly prohibits trash burning . Please read the No Trash Burning Brochure above for more information.
Return to Top

Historical Society

  • Q - How do I become a member of the Atkinson Historical Society?
    • A - Membership is inexpensive. The cost is just $5.00 per year or $25.00 for a lifetime membership. Come into the Kimball House museum during working hours to fill out a simple membership form.
  • Q - How can I purchase the History of Atkinson NH afghan?
    • A - Contact the Historical Society to purchase your afghan for $45.00. The is a great gift idea depicting key historical sites in Atkinson NH. including:
      • Grange, Historical Society, Kimball Public Library, Universalist Church, Rockwell School, Police Station, Dow Monument, Town Pound, Atkinson Congregational Church, Town Hall, Fire Department, and the Atkinson Academy.
  • Q - How can I purchase a copy of "Atkinson Then and Now"?
    • A - Contact the Historical Society to purchase your 2nd Edition copy of "Atkinson Then and Now" published in 1999, for $30.00.
Return to Top

Police Department

  • Q - How do I request an accident report?
    • A - Make a written request to the Atkinson Police Department, 27 Academy Avenue, PO Box 321, Atkinson, NH 03811. Accident reports will only be released to those involved and their insurance companies. There is a $15.00 fee.
  • Q - How do I apply for a house alarm permit?
    • A - Download and complete the Town of Atkinson NH Alarm Ordinance & Application (pdf). The first and second occurrence of a false alarm within a six month period is free of charge. The third through sixth false alarm(s) within a six month period shall be charged at the rate of $25.00 per occurrence. After six of more false alarms - the Chief of Police may suspend the permit to operate an alarm.
  • Q - How do I request criminal record information?
    • A - Apply in person at New Hampshire State Police Headquarters - 33 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH (with picture I.D.) or download the NH Criminal History Check (pdf). Mail in the application (to above address above) notarized by either a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace. A release to a third party requires a similar notarization and a third party signature. There is a $15.00 fee.
  • Q - How do I obtain a New Hampshire Pistol Permit
    • A - Download and complete the NH Pistol Permit Application (pdf). Apply in person at the Atkinson Police Department (with picture ID). There is a $10.00 fee.
  • Q - How do I request an Incident Report?
    • A - Submit a request in writing (state the date, time, and location of the incident). There is a $15.00 fee.
  • Q - Where can I get a gun lock?
    • A - The Atkinson Police Department has free gun locks courtesy of the Department of Justice's Project Child Safe. Anyone can come to the station during normal business hours and request a free lock!
Return to Top

Tax Collector

  • Q - Can I drop my payment off at the Town Hall when the Office is not open?
    • A - Yes. There is a mail slot in the door of the Tax Collectors Office for your convenience.
  • Q - Can I obtain a stamped receipt of a Tax payment?
    • A - Yes. For a stamped receipt you must include a stamped self-addressed envelope with your payment.
  • Q - How do I apply for abatement?
  • Q - How do I change my mailing address?
    • A - You contact the Assessor.
Return to Top

Town Clerk

  • Q - How do I register my automobile online?
    • A - Click on the orange e-reg link on the Town Clerks page.
  • Q - How do I register my dog online?
    • A - Click on the purple dog licensing link on the Town Clerks page to register your dog online. For more information, dates and fees please review the following document. - Town of Atkinson Dog Licensing (pdf)
  • Q - How do I register my boat, trailer, ATV or personal watercraft?
    • A - For information regarding obtaining vital records please review the following document. - Boat Registrations (pdf)
  • Q - What documents do I need to obtain a marriage license?
    • A - For information regarding obtaining a marriage license please review the following document. There is a $45.00 fee to apply for a marriage license. - Obtaining a Marriage License (pdf)
  • Q - How do I obtain a vital record certificate?
    • A - For information regarding obtaining vital records please review the following document. - Vital Records (pdf)
  • Q - How do I register to vote?
    • A - For information regarding voter registration please review the following document. - Town Elections (pdf)
Return to Top

Municipal Waste

  • Q - What items CANNOT be disposed of with your weekly trash?
    • Antifreeze
    • Car batteries
    • Computer parts
    • Fluorescent lamps
    • Yard waste: trees, tree stumps, leaves, branches, grass clippings, dirt or soils
    • Tires
    • Treated wood, railroad ties
    • Tanks, oil, propane, gasoline
    • Liquids: paint, oil, gas
    • Hazardous materials: asbestos, 55-gallon drums
    • Refrigerants: refrigerators, air conditioners, freezers
    • Copiers
    • Smoke detectors
    • Animal carcasses and feces
    • Should you have any questions or need more service please call Northside Carting at 1.978.686.8604.
Return to Top